Monday, June 28, 2010

This Bikram thing...

The mind is a powerful thing. And it's amazing what it can do under stressful situations - it's either your best friend or your worse enemy. As Bikram said, it's the difference between being Hitler or being Mother Theresa - all about how you use your mind.

My mind has been on an interesting journey through my Bikram classes. At first, it made me painfully aware of my pear shape and large thighs. It told me I've never been flexible so why in the world would I even try to do these postures? For a number of classes it obsessed over food. What was I going to eat when I got out of class, when was I going to eat, where should I go, how much should I have... food, food, food.... Two classes ago the food thoughts vanished. So did the big thighs. Now my mind is telling me that I'm strong. That I can do it.

And now the best thing it does is actually be quiet.

I have never been able to quiet my mind... to be able to lay still and think of absolutely nothing but breathing is such a beautiful release.

Class tonight was by far one of my best classes. Even though I wasn't totally enthusiastic about going, I'm so glad I did. Limited only by my very sore quad (thanks kickball!), I felt like a superstar.

D and I realized another huge benefit from Bikram - our recovery time from weight lifting is next to nothing. Woohoo - no soreness!

No comments: